The real estate market is constantly changing so it is important to do everything you can to make your home show as well as possible. Homes that have been recently remodeled usually sell much faster and for more money but not all sellers have the time to go through that process. However, there are still things that can be done quickly to help you achieve your goals.
TOP 7 ITEMS YOU CAN DO TO UPDATE YOUR HOME
& ADD VALUE WITHOUT A MAJOR REMODEL
PAINT – A neutral white wall color (not bright white – use a softer white like Shoji White from Sherwin Williams) will go a long way in making your home look fresh. If you don’t have time or desire to do the entire home, do the main living area and/or kitchen – if possible, include the primary bedroom. Secondary bedrooms and bathrooms are important but if you have to cut out something, they are likely the best option.
DOOR KNOBS – Many DIYers can easily update the interior door knobs from the gold chrome style that dates many homes to a matte black or dark bronze color – brushed nickel or even chrome can often work as well. Gold hues are also popular but often re-imagined in champagne bronze and antiqued finishes. It can vary but you can estimate $25 – $35 for each door knob.
TOWEL BARS/HOOKS – Same as above for color choices – with 2 – 4 bathrooms, cost is usually minimal.
PLUMBING FIXTURES – Not all DIYers should tackle this so it is best to use a licensed plumber but for $500 – $1k for each bathroom (includes fixture costs and installation) it can really provide a boost to the sale price of your home. See above for color/finish options.
LARGE ART – Usually one per wall – eliminate small arts pieces – if the area is too small for large art, it’s probably too small for any art when selling your home.
REPLACE WORN CARPET – Keep the color neutral and current in style – simple is usually best.
ADD AN UPDATED BACKSPLASH – Consult a professional for this to make sure it complements the counters and kitchen fixtures – if doing it only to help sell your home, keep it simple with tile design and color – consult a professional – I have a very talented interior designer as part of my team.
In addition to the seven items above, there are other important items that you should do:
- Declutter – everywhere and everything including closets – if necessary, store items in the garage – it is easier to sell a properly staged home with a cluttered garage than a cluttered home with an empty garage
- Remove unnecessary small furniture pieces and/or anything that clutters a room
- Remove all kitchen mats or rugs – most rugs in high traffic areas should be removed as well
- Clear all counter and furniture surfaces – Most surfaces should have very few items displayed
- Remove everything from the outside of the refrigerator
- Remove Personal Pictures
- Hire a professional cleaning company to deep clean the home
- If the weather requires a front door mat, purchase a new one.
- Hire a landscaper to do a clean-up of the exterior if needed
Feel free to call Dale Samar anytime with questions – Always happy to help!
Prepping your home for sale is only part of the process. Click the link to see more about marketing your home here.